Thursday, December 06, 2007

My sensitive boy

Today we had to drop Colette off at the vet for her exam/vaccines. She always has to spend the day because when she was a puppy, she had a vaccine reaction that caused her to swell to the point her face looked like a pug! She gets a dose of Benadryl before we leave the house, and the vet's office calls when it is safe for us to pick her up. Colette cries as soon as you put her leash on, and Seth took it to heart. After dropping her off, he was in tears about his dog. We went to Chikfila playground in an effort to cheer him up...temporary fix. I had to call the vet immediately after naptime to see if it was okay to pick Colette up. Seth said,"YEA!" when we got in the parking lot, and ran in yelling "Colette! Colette! Colette!" This from the boy that for the last two weeks has been telling her to go to bed every time she comes in the same room.



On Monday Seth had me lay on his pillows in his room, he covered me with his quilt, and then "read" me "It's Time for Bed", which went something like this "mouse. nigh-night. cow. nigh-night. sheep. nigh-night." etc. etc. etc. Multiple times through the book he closed my eyes for me and kissed my cheek.

But his naughty side comes out every once in awhile. Sunday I could do nothing right. I was getting ready for work when he came out of my closet with a suitcase. I asked him if he was going somewhere, and he said "TRIP" as mean as he could muster. By the time I had my hair dry Nathan had convinced him to stay. We had not agreed earlier about staying in the truck after lunch, so maybe he thought if he brought a suitcase he could go somewhere. I dunno.

He is finally starting to get the hang of putting two words together. I've been working with him a lot since I think it's ridiculous that he can say the words separately. Yesterday I got him to say "please mom" consistently, and then put colors in front of nouns. Today he has done it spontaneously several times. More impressively, he knows that S is for Seth, M is for Mommy, and D is for Daddy (although he says "Nee" still) when shown the alphabet. We did those Tuesday, and he retained it. Tonight I showed him E for Evan, R for Ryan, and W for Will; we'll see if he remembers tomorrow.

1 comment:

PammyT said...

what a sweet boy!