Last month, another bad thing happened. I came on the computer right after I picked up Seth and saw what had happened. I emailed Nathan, and then I started sending out messages. Nathan had a childhood friend who had already finished the race and was back safe in his hotel. Thanks to social media, it was fairly easy to find out who you knew was there and if they were safe. By the time evening rolled around, I was angry. I have stood for long periods of time in crowded corrals, waiting for races to start. I have stood along countless finish lines, with my kids, peering over temporary fences, waiting to see Nathan cross a finish line. I have never not felt safe. How dare they! Then the stories started circulating...all the heroes who immediately helped out, runners who went straight to hospitals and donated blood, but what could we do?
There quickly became grassroots efforts all across the country. In our area about 900 people met the night after and ran a mile to show their support. (A local couple who work at a FITNESS CENTER were injured in the explosions.) A trio in Texas started a FB page, and on April 17th, people all over the world ran, and posted pictures on FB. Here is ours:
Neither of us ever plan to run a marathon, but we know the kind of dedication it takes to do so, especially to qualify for Boston. About once a year, I order myself a new running shirt. This year, my shirt is from a fundraiser for the victims. I expect it any day. The bad guys got caught. We still run.
No comments:
Post a Comment