Friday, May 11, 2007

Terrible twos...

...here we come! Although Seth wasn't the first to roll over, get teeth, crawl, walk, etc., he did get separation anxiety early, and it appears the terrible twos may be upon us. (And since I hear 3 can be worse than 2, we might have a bumpy couple years around here!) We are starting to have short-lived melt-in-a-puddle tizzies. He's already mastered instant crocodile tears. Now, Seth's had a tough week, which we are blaming on allergies and 2-year-old molars. After several restless, sleepless nights, a few low-grade temps, and some unexplained meltdowns, I took him to the pediatrician, thinking I would catch an ear infection early. Nope. Boy doesn't even have fluid behind his eardrum, much less an infection. Oops. Better safe than sorry! The thing about my pediatrician's office is that they know I'm a NICU nurse, so they think I can "handle" things for awhile before I bring him in. Every time something happens for the first time ie. stuffy nose, bumped noggin, super high fever, etc., I have called in, then use that advice the next time. But, I did get to throw the boy on a scale, and was SHOCKED to see he weighed in at 23 lbs 15 oz. What the heck! I thought he'd be 25+! So I just looked at the CDC website and that puts him right on the 10th percentile line...AGAIN. Next time I'm going to put some rocks in his diaper!

Then we met Nathan for lunch and Seth had so much fun spearing pizza on a fork. We made a family trip to ToysRUs and bought a couple toys for our trip to the beach and got Seth's birthday present to put away. Well, the big box wouldn't fit in my car, so we had to take out the carseat in the Camry and put it in there. I don't know what was the catalyst: Nathan getting out of my car, or putting the box in his car, or removing the car seat, but there was a very unhappy boy in my car. I told him Daddy had to go back to work but he'd be home later. Major waving and kiss-blowing ensued, until Nathan's car was out of sight. He's going to be thrilled tomorrow when he realizes it is Saturday and he has both parents home for two days!

No comments: