Friday, May 09, 2008

Fifteen hours

...that's how long our power was out.

Last night it had started to storm as I was making my last post. I decided to turn on the news, and found all the local stations doing continuous weather forecasts. After just a few minutes, Lanie Pope said to take shelter if you were near I-40 in Clemmons. I found flashlights, carried Seth and Amelia down to the basement, then woke Nathan from a sound sleep and told him what was going on. It didn't take him long to decide to join us. Amelia slept through it all, Seth dosed off and on, and when he was awake, he wanted to be in charge of a flashlight. The power went out at 10:30. The boys moved back upstairs around 1:30, Amelia and I stayed downstairs all night. The power was still off this morning, and Nathan left really early again. I took the kids to Cracker Barrel for breakfast to kill some time. It's a good thing that was my intention, because everyone else had the same idea! We got home and the power was still out, so we went back out and got some ice...I don't care about my food spoiling, but I have a lot of milk stored away for Amelia when I go back to work, and I would hate it if I lost all that. Our neighborhood was very lucky. It sounds like the worst damage was about three miles away. Click here if you want to see local pictures.

update: I just went for a walk and saw that half of one tree against the chimney is bent to the point of no return. It looks like it should have a crack in it, but it doesn't. More mulch!

No comments: