Tuesday, September 30, 2014

Daisy Award

The background story doesn't matter, but I was pleasantly surprised to be nominated for the Daisy Award by a patient's parents.  I didn't win the big prize, but I did get recognized by the hospital and I received this nomination and a really nice follow up email from the family.  If you are ever a patient in a hospital, and something the staff does stands out to you, please take the time to write a note.  It means more to us than you'll ever know.  My nursery isn't always busy, but there are some days I eat my lunch two bites at a time over the course of six hours, and days where I don't get to go to the bathroom, um, ever.  (TMI? Back to keeping it real, here.)  I have to play the bad guy when what the family has in mind isn't in the baby's best interest. I miss a lot of YMCA basketball and soccer games because I have to work.  I lose a lot of sleep when night shifts need to be covered.  I work holidays.  My boss is quick to hear it if a family is unhappy.  Parents are in such a rush to get their new baby to the house, very rarely do we even get a thank you.  So this note, it means a LOT, especially because I received it during Nurse's Week my first year at this job.

No comments: