Thursday, December 13, 2012

bright blessings

I've noticed that after I've had a bad day (or three), an opportunity will fall in my lap where I know I've been able to be a blessing in someone else's life, and it causes me to refocus on what's important.  With the excitement of decorating, the kids were quickly spiraling into a bad case of the "I wants".  There is a local company that provides birthday parties to homeless children, and they advertised a stocking stuffing event.  You brought the contents, they provided the stockings.  I went through my stash of stuff, and we went and made two stockings, one for a girl Amelia's age, and one for a boy Seth's age.  I tried to really emphasize that this was all those children were going to get for Christmas.  
The group also provided a lot of fun games and some yummy hot chocolate, so I think it ended up being more fun and less a service project for the kids, but I tried.  At least I know we've helped two little kids out. The week after that, Seth's school did a glove and hat drive, and Amelia's school collected gifts for baby Jesus, which are really going to be given away to children in need.  Our neighborhood did a food drive last weekend, and I've heard that we donated 565 pounds of food!  The food pantries are always in need!  Donate if you can!

No comments: