Monday, August 01, 2011

even better than last year

Thursday morning I woke up with a weird rash all over my arms.  It didn't itch, but it felt like pinpricks.  Annoying!  I spent most of the day at home, waffling over whether I was going to go to the doctor or not.  Benadryl and topicals weren't helping, but at the same time, I didn't feel bad.  Weird.  That night, Nathan and I went out and got my new phone.  My contract had expired the day before, and my poor phone had been on borrowed time for awhile.  Meanwhile, Seth was cooking up big plans.  See, Friday was my birthday, and Seth put himself in charge of it, because he said my birthday wasn't very fun last year.  So Nathan took the kids for a last-minute run to Target.  (Which left me alone in the house for only the second time since preschool ended...that was a gift in itself!) 

Friday morning, the kids "let" me open my present right away.  Seth picked out new pj's at Target.  I love them.  (And they were on clearance, 50% off.  That's my boy!)  He also made me this card:
Unfortunately, I still had the rash, so I decided to go to the doctor just to make sure I wasn't contagious.  I wasn't, and the rash was gone by that afternoon.  Figures.  Then we went to the last swim team practice of the summer, came home to pack up, and headed back to the pool with all of our neighborhood buddies (my idea, not Seth's).  We ordered pizza (Seth's idea), and had cupcakes (made by me, picked out by Seth).  I spent a lot of time in the deep end, supervising diving board jumps.  I got jumped on by one of my favorite 5-year-olds.  (It was only her second time ever off the board.)  It must have looked pretty bad, but all it did was shake my contacts loose.  Once I put on my goggles, I was good to go the rest of the time.  I didn't get a lot of great pictures at the pool, but here is Wild Woman jumping off the diving board.  (On Saturday she started going off the diving board without a float.)

For dinner we went out to a local restaurant we had never tried before (I had a groupon).  None of my friends had taken their kids there, but figured it was okay if we went early.  We dressed the kids up a little bit and told them we were sneaking them in as grown ups.  The ploy worked!  They were perfect!  The restaurant had a kids' menu, so it was no big deal.  In fact, Amelia's chicken tenders looked awesome.   Then Nathan and I went out to see Harry Potter.  The kids were still up when we got home at 10, they don't get baby-sitters very often these days, and they were lovin' it.  I had a fantastic day, even better than last year.

No comments: