Yesterday Nathan and I ran in the Ardmore 5k. This was my first race ever. I thought I was prepared. And then I saw the weather forecast (cool)...which made me a little nervous. Friday night we went to pick up our race packet and we drove the route. There are some brutal hills in Ardmore. The route looked a good 100 miles long. I came home with nerves equivalent to those I experienced pre-c-section(s). I contemplated bribing the other Sara to come into town and running in my place. But I actually slept pretty well and by morning had control of my nerves, with my mental game intact. Then five minutes pre-race, my geriatric iPod died, and I about panicked. Nathan went to the front of the pack (because he's fast), and I gave myself one last pep talk and it was time to go. I wasn't fast, and probably could have gone faster, but I ran the whole way, and passed a lot of people during the second half of the race. Having not run hilly routes before, I was pretty proud of myself. Nathan finished in under 23 minutes, and I finished at about 32 minutes.
The great thing about these races is you're not only helping yourself out, you're supporting a cause. The local food bank can make 100 meals out of each race registration, and I'm pretty sure there were over 500 participants yesterday. That's going to help out a lot of people in need. Here is our post-race picture (we did get race shirts the night before, but we did not run in them and the picture will not upload):
No comments:
Post a Comment