Tuesday, March 27, 2012

sickness saga

(I'm hoping by posting this, everyone will wake up bright-eyed, fever-free, and well tomorrow.)

As I posted before, Seth came home early from school on the 16th with a headache.  Little did I know then that it was just the beginning of a sickness saga around here.  A high fever gets him down and out, but by the second dose of antibiotics, he's usually bounces back.  Not this time.  It was Tuesday morning before he finally ditched the fever, and I'm talking 101-104 degrees.  On Monday I unloaded the dishwasher and found eleven clean medicine cups.  11!  His official diagnosis was bacterial pneumonia, and the cough really interrupted his sleep at night.  I kept him home Wednesday just to help him regain his stamina.  Thursday he went to school, I went to the Y and ran all the errands I had put off all week, and good thing I did.  That night Amelia threw up.  I was hoping it was something random and not the stomach bug, because that is one thing my nurse-immunity can't seem to ward off.  Friday, Amelia has a low temp, but no one else is down for the count.  Saturday, ditto.  At this point I'm starting to think Seth had a virus on top of his bacterial infection, and that Amelia just took a long time to incubate it.  Saturday evening (after even the urgent care has closed), she says her throat hurts.  Great.  Sunday she wakes up fine, we go meet up with the boys in Charlotte, and she poops out again and gets a fever.  Monday I took her to the doctor.  Strep.  Seth finished his antibiotics that morning, so hopefully he's covered from it.  Today she woke up fever free but with pink eye in one eye!  Ugh!  We have been so healthy this winter, but they have sure made up for it in the past two weeks!  Nathan keeps marveling about how little shopping I've done this month, but it's because we've been on house arrest!

No comments: