Yesterday was Nathan's first triathlon of the year, Belews Lake, which was about 40 minutes from home. Right before Easter, I found a great deal on these shirts for the kids...I bought them big, so hopefully we'll get two years' wear out of them.
This race was Nathan's first with an open water swim, which meant the purchase of a wetsuit. He got major points for getting a clearance one, though. The swim was 750m, over twice as far as the races he did last year (not that that distance is a big deal for him). Most open water swims are just a free-for-all, but the competitors started two at a time, every ten seconds, elites first. Nathan somehow started 49th, but he was the 35th person back out of the water. Such grace leaving the lake:
Seriously, most of the elites looked like they were falling out of the lake. It would have been really humorous, but I was trying to keep track of the finishers, plus make sure the kids didn't fall in the drink, so I was a little distracted.
Next up, the bike. This was 14.5 miles, a little over 45 minutes:
The kids and I had a picnic of oranges and juice boxes and tried to entertain ourselves until we spotted Nathan. Next time I need to pack cooler toys. I don't think the kids saw Nathan finish the bike, but I got them close to road while he was transitioning, and Seth got to give Nathan a good-job-high-five as he started the 5k.
We relocated close to the finish line which was nice, because the kids got to dance to the emcee's music (Seth) and play in the gravel (Amelia). Nathan finished in under 90 minutes, which was his goal. From my perspective, his hard work all winter is definitely paying off. He did not look nearly as tired post-race this time. Way to go, Penguin Daddy!
No comments:
Post a Comment